Some people in the U.S. are being denied the basic human right to make their own decisions about their health and their families, including abortion, simply because of their immigration status.
People who are undocumented and immigrants in mixed status families face even more barriers:
- Arbitrary checkpoints block them from traveling for care;
- A five-year ban for immigrants to enroll in health insurance programs denies them basic healthcare;
- Immigration detention centers deny abortion care and allow dangerous procedures and forced hysterectomies;
- Local law enforcement works closely with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to criminalize immigrants.
The freedom to care for ourselves and provide a better life for our families should not depend on our immigration status.
Abortion justice for immigrants can’t wait.
- States with thriving immigrant communities like Texas have used the pandemic to ban abortion altogether.
- When politicians target low-income people with abortion coverage bans and restrictions, immigrants often pay the price.