We are united in our vision: a world where abortion care is affordable, available, and supported for everyone who needs it. We know people of color working to make ends meet have been denied the promise of legal abortion for decades because of the Hyde Amendment and other abortion restrictions. Race, economic insecurity, and immigration status can multiply the already-massive barriers to abortion care. To achieve true abortion justice, our solutions must incorporate racial, economic, and immigrant justice.
The Action Plan for Abortion Justice consists of bold, proactive policy solutions to address the lived realities of abortion access. We urge local, state, and federal policymakers to advance comprehensive abortion justice policies with the following components.
✱ Abortion care is available without hurdles or stigma for people of color working to make ends meet, young folks, LGBTQ, and gender nonconforming people.
- Reinforce a right to bodily autonomy in cities, states, and nationally where no state or federal law can supersede or interfere with that right.
- Remove all restrictions on abortion care.
- Create legal avenues for patients and providers to protect themselves against anti-abortion entities and protesters.
- Protect providers, individuals who assist, and individuals who have abortions, especially individuals who self-manage their abortions, from criminalization.
- Protect young people seeking abortion care by repealing parental consent and notification requirements.
- Prohibit discrimination based on reproductive health care decisions or outcomes.
✱ Abortion care is available, affordable, and accessible for immigrants of any documentation status without fear of deportation, detention, or harm to their own or their family’s immigration process.
- Protect people seeking abortion care from criminalization, regardless of their documentation status.
- Remove law and immigration enforcement from medical and healthcare settings and ensure quality, seamless care for people in detention or custody.
- Ensure people can safely travel for abortion care, regardless of documentation status.
- Ensure that immigrants have insurance coverage and financial support to access abortion care.
- Provide culturally competent and linguistically appropriate care.
✱ Abortion care is available in the communities where we live.
- Invest in clinic and provider infrastructure at the local, state, and federal levels, including federally funded facilities.
- Invest in the provision of abortion care, from licensure to insurance, so it remains free from political interference.
- Remove all barriers to abortion care training and require all public universities and medical schools to provide training for physicians, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, nurse-midwives, physician assistants, and other advanced practice clinicians within their scope of practice.
- Invest in pharmaceutical and technological research and innovation to improve quality of care, reduce cost, and increase access.
- Make abortion care information readily available in multiple languages on government websites to ensure people are aware of their rights and resources, and can trust that the information is accurate.
✱ Abortion care, especially medication abortion and telehealth, is provided in ways that are comfortable, secure, and makes sense for patients.
- Remove all regulatory and legislative barriers to mifepristone being available over the counter, including removing onerous provider certification processes.
- Allow physicians, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, nurse-midwives, physician assistants, and other advanced practice clinicians to provide abortion care within their scope of practice.
- Require public colleges and universities to provide medication abortion at their on-campus health centers at no cost.
✱ Abortion care is affordable and covered by all public and private health insurance plans.
- End all bans on insurance coverage of abortion.
- Require insurance providers to provide consumer-friendly information about covered services and cover abortion or abortion-related care among the full range of reproductive health care at no cost to the patient.
- End all bans on public funding of abortion and provide federal grants to states and localities for abortion care and practical support funding streams.
- Ensure abortion providers, both in-clinic and via telehealth, can operate sustainably with equitable reimbursement rates.
Thank you to All* Above All partners–including abortion providers, abortion funds, state organizations, legal experts, economic and immigrant justice organizations, youth and faith organizations, and federal policy experts–for their thoughtful and bold contributions.