Position: State Organizer
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Reports to: Director of State Strategies
The state organizer implements state-based advocacy and base-building efforts to restore or protect Medicaid coverage of abortion. The organizer works primarily with state-based organizations, leaders and policy makers to implement state and local advocacy and base-building campaigns to increase access to abortion for low-income women and help create a culture shift with new frames and messages that support abortion access and reproductive justice.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Implement c3 and c4 state organizing plans, through tactics that include, but are not limited to, phones, mail and canvass;
- Provide advocacy and strategic communications support to state and city groups/coalitions;
- Keep national coalition informed and updated on local efforts;
- Provide written and verbal analysis on state organizing progress;
- Collaborate with All* team to organize national mobilizations and develop and implement movement building strategies that will strengthen reproductive justice efforts;
- Represent All* Above All and its interests/perspectives with state and local advocates and coalitions; and,
- Travel (60%) to target states and cities as well as Washington DC for coalition meetings
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Expertise in managing multi-state advocacy and organizing campaigns
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree welcomed
- Track record in accomplishing campaign goals
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in related field
- Ability to travel, work remotely
- Manage multiple agendas and political landscapes
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Excellent management, organizational and communication (both written and oral) skills.
- Ability to multitask and shift priorities; aptitude for working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-based, participatory environment as well as work autonomously.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Knowledge of political landscape of reproductive health and rights issues, with strong understanding of Medicaid and its intersection with abortion rights
- A passionate belief in reproductive justice
- A strong commitment to people-focused grassroots organizing
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- A proven ability to analyze complex issues and translate ideas into effective strategies
- Exceptional communicator
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented and analytical
- Sense of humor
New Venture Fund Careers
All* Above All is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, one- to two-page writing sample and three references to Ali Dominguez at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: State Organizer Position Search. Resumes will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.