Position: State Strategies Manager
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Reports to: Director of State Strategies
The State Strategies Manager works with the Director of State Strategies to achieve a coordinated, state-based effort to restore Medicaid coverage of abortion. They work with state-based organizations to win state and local advocacy efforts that increase access to abortion for low-income women and help create a culture shift with new frames and messages that support abortion access and reproductive justice.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide advocacy and strategic communications support to state and city groups/coalitions;
- Keep national coalition informed and updated on local efforts;
- Provide written and verbal analysis on what is working or not working in different states/cities;
- Make recommendations on strategy: organizing, policy and coalition-building in states;
- Help develop and implement movement building strategies that will strengthen reproductive justice efforts;
- Manage a healthy relationship between a national coalition and local/state advocacy efforts;
- Represent the coalition and its interests/perspectives with state and local advocates and coalitions;
- 50% Travel: this includes states and cities as well Washington DC for coalition meetings; and
- Track and assess objectives and benchmarks across the different states/cities; work with an evaluator as needed to document progresses and challenges.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Expertise in managing state advocacy and organizing campaigns
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree welcomed
- Track record of building strong relationships
- Passionate belief in Reproductive Justice
- Track record in accomplishing campaign goals
- Knowledge of political landscape of reproductive health and rights issues
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in related field
- Ability to travel, work remotely
- Manage multiple agendas and political landscapes
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Excellent managing, organizational and communication (both written and oral) skills.
- Ability to multitask and shift priorities; aptitude for working under tight deadlines.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-based, participatory environment as well as work autonomously.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- A strong commitment to people-focused grassroots organizing as a core campaign strategy
- Effective project manager with attention to detail
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- A proven ability to analyze complex issues and translate ideas into effective strategies
- Knowledge of Medicaid state policies
- Exceptional communicator
- Well organized, detail-oriented and analytical
- Sense of humor
New Venture Fund Careers
All* Above All is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, short writing sample and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 20, 2017. Please use the subject line: State Strategies Manager Search. Resumes will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.